Crystal Singing Bowls are an intensely personal item. They are made of quartz and 'tune' into your energy. If they resonate well with you they will sing like a bird. If not, they will be flat and grate like glass on a window.
When energy is at play, things become out of our control. For example, when you do a smudge clearing, you can't see the negative energy but you can feel it. With a singing bowl, you can't see the energy it is clearing, but you can certainly see and sense the results.
Please do your own research on how to play a bowl. Our blog is simply a guide of our experience and what customers have told us.
Crystal Bowls must be treated delicately and with great respect. You will learn from your own experience what works for you and what doesn't. We have had 2 reports of breakages from playing them. We are not professional sound healers so there may be many things you cannot do with a singing bowl. We can only tell you of the two experiences we have had which haven't worked and have included a video of a guy playing a bowl, faster, faster, faster until BAM. Smashed in his hands!
How NOT To Play
The first experience we had was here in the store, years ago when one of our staff members put an 8 cm sphere in the bowl to cleanse it. We had our silk scarf in the base so that there was not crystal on crystal contact. The bowl was being played fairly firmly when in an instant the crystal sphere literally shot out of the side of the bowl, leaving a great hole, and landed many metres away, across the store. We have been very respectful of what we put in the bowls since then and never place large items in them to cleanse. (To cleanse large items eg an amethyst cave or sphere, simply sound the bowl above the item. It works perfectly.)
The second experience was with a person who was in deep meditation and a second person was playing the bowl. We are told they started playing it in the opposite direction and the bowl shattered. The bowl had only been purchased a couple of months previously. What we have learned from this, never having heard of it happening before, is that the bowl was operating at a frequency, going in one direction. Then the user reversed its direction and the bowl shattered.
I reiterate here that your bowl is a sensitive instrument. It works on vibration, which we cannot see. Please treat it with incredible respect and care. We do not take responsibility for your singing bowl or sound instrument once it leaves the building. They are an expensive item and I like to think of them as a sacred part of my spiritual toolkit.
More on Crystal Singing Bowl Use
When you are test running a bowl in a store and it doesn't sing, it is not meant for you.
The bowl that suits your energy will sound as if it has waited for a long time for you to find it. It will be so happy. Crystals are living energy. Crystal bowls are made of 99% quartz crystal. The Crystal bowl like a crystal chooses you.
Crystal Singing Bowls are perfect to tune and clear your crystals, for use in Sound Healing, to clear the energy of your home, in healing and for meditation.
To use for clearing your crystals to place a soft scarf in the bottom and sit the crystals in the Singing Bowl while you give them a Sound Bath. This clears the crystals’ energy and gives them a Blessing.
*PLEASE NOTE: Never place crystals in the Bowl without a soft scarf in the bowl. Crystal on crystal can cause the bowl to shatter with the intense vibration.
- Crystal Singing Bowls are manufactured from 99.99% pure quartz crystal. The crushed quartz is heated to a very high temperature then they are tested to determine the musical note.
- The notes are in turn associated with the Seven Chakras of the Body System.
- Quartz produces a pure tone. The cells of the human body have a natural geometrical relationship to the structure of clear quartz.
Being made of crystalline structures, including our DNA, blood, bones and the crystal-colloidal liquid of the brain, we align with the crystals’ inherent structure.
How To Play
- Lightly tap the outside rim of the bowl and immediately begin to run the striker around the corner of the outside edge of the rim of the bowl. Never strike and ring the bowl from the inside of the bowl.
- Singing Bowls are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease, there are no medical claims made with them. Always play a minimum of 10 inches from a person’s head. Do not play within 10 inches of another bowl as it can cause shattering or breakage. Crystal on crystal does not work.
- With crystal sound affecting the body and the brain, the resonance relays an order that allows consciousness to travel into altered states of awareness.
- Quartz Crystal Singing Bowls come in in frosted white, chakra colors and rainbow effects.
- The sounding of Crystal Bowls can be used in healing and meditation practice.
- Use your bowl in a quiet space.
- Place the rubber ring provided with your bowl on a flat sturdy surface and set the bowl on it.
- Smaller bowls are best used in your hand since they can be too light to sing on a flat surface.
- Grasp the striker like a pencil by the wooden end.
- Your striker should be at about a 30-degree angle to the outside of the bowl.
- Special care should be taken to maintain a FIRM and CONSTANT pressure.
- If you hear a grating or chattering sound, you are not applying enough pressure.
- Practice makes perfect. If you have trouble producing a solid sound, take a deep breath and try again.
- If you prefer to gong your bowl by striking it, make sure you do it lightly.
- Your crystal bowl is a high-quality fragile instrument but with proper handling, it can remain beautiful and viable for a lifetime.
- Always handle your bowl with the utmost care and take special precautions while transporting or storing it.
- It is imperative that you use the correct striker and the rubber ring when playing.
- Bowls can become dirty during normal use. Clean your bowl with distilled water and mild dishwashing soap.
- A soft bristle brush or white cloth may be used. Rinse with clear water and dry with a blow dryer.